Call for competition entries 2018
Peter-Joseph Lenné (born in 1789 in Bonn, died in 1866 in Berlin) was one of the most important 19th century German garden and landscape architects. Even today, his work is visible in many gardens, parks and squares of the cities of Berlin and Potsdam.
Lenné’s creations still serve as inspiring models for many landscape architects, architects and artists because of their comprehensive approach, their compositional and botanical artistry and their blending of beauty and usefulness. To many people, his parks and gardens convey an impression of the harmony and beauty that may arise when closeness to nature, functionality, and the human disire to shape the environment combine.
The Peter-Joseph-Lenné-Award of the state of Berlin is a competition of ideas for garden and landscape architecture and for the planning of open space and landscape.
The procedure is targeted especially at young landscape architects, planners, scientists, architects and artists who are being trained or are employed in the aforementioned specialist fields.
The award is intended to support the professional development of young persons, and to foster new ideas and planning approaches in the design and planning of open spaces.Attractive tasks from Berlin, the German federal states and foreign countries have been chosen for the competition. Importance is attached to explorations of where open space planning and landscape architecture cross boundaries into other areas.
Entries are invited for the following in 2018:
- Berlin – historic city centre: Marx-Engels-Forum
Open space concept for the Marx-Engels Forum, including linking this area with adjoining city spaces
- Germany: Ebersbach-Neugersdorf (Upper Lusatia) [Oberlausitz], the source of the River Spree
Development concept for the town of Ebersbach-Neugersdorf, and design and utilisation concept for the local mountain called the Schlechteberg
- Paris: architectural, open space visions for the “Fermiers Généraux”
Strategic development concept for the open space within the “Fermiers Généraux”, and design and utilisation concepts for the section between the Boulevard de la Villette and the Colonel Fabien Square [Place du Colonel Fabien]
The Lenné jury 2018:
- Prof. Ulrike Böhm
- Berlin task: Ursula Renker, Senate Department for the Environment, Transport and Climate Protection (IIIC)
- Paris task: Christophe Teboul, a senior manager in the Paris city administration (requested)
- Lusatia task: Stefan Halang, responsible in local authority of Ebersbach-Neugersdorf for promoting business and tourism
- Karl Foerster Foundation: Marianne Mommsen
- Lenné prizewinners from 2016: Pascal Zissler and Jan Ole Rolfes (one vote)
Detailed information on the topics and deadlines:
- Deadline for submissions: 29th of June 2018
- The jury will meet on the 12th and 13th of July 2018
- The ceremonial act with the award will take place on the 1st of November in the Academy of Arts [ Akademie der Künste]
Please contact the agency for any questions.
Grün Berlin GmbH
- Peter-Joseph-Lenné-Preis -
Columbiadamm 10, Tower 7
Tel. + 49 30 700906-20
Fax + 49 30 700906-64