2023 Barcelona Biennale programme ‘The Poetics of Remediation’
The program for the 12th International Landscape Biennial of Barcelona will delve into the theme of “The Poetics of Remediation.”
This year, 32 experts, including renowned professionals in the field, jury members, academics, and researchers, will be participating with their presentations.
- Barcelona will host the 12th International Landscape Biennial from November 24 to 28, 2023, marking the beginning of a week dedicated to landscape intervention from both educational and professional perspectives. The planned activities span over three days of free preliminary events (November 24, 25, and 26), followed by a two-day symposium at the Palau de la Música (November 27 and 28).
- Prominent speakers include the landscape architect and experimental vegetation activist Cassian Schmidt, the Thai landscape architect Koch Voraakkhom, theorists Gareth Doherty (Harvard University) and Tim Watermann (UCL), landscape architect Catherine Mosbach, and the author of “Water Lore” in Australia, Gini Lee, among others.
- The Biennial returns as an in-person event, but with free and open streaming events for registered attendees.
- On November 24, 2023, a presentation day for projects submitted by the 10 finalist universities for the 12th edition of the Biennial’s International Landscape Schools Prize, now named the Ribas Piera Prize. Venue: ETSAB.
- On November 25, 2023, technical city tours in the morning and book presentations with a welcome event in the afternoon. Venue: COAC.
- On November 26, 2023, technical city tours in the morning and an afternoon CINE FORUM, featuring the premiere of the film “Art d’alçada” and short films by renowned landscape architects. Venue: Cinema Girona.
- On November 27, 2023, a presentation day for projects chosen as finalists for the Rosa Barba International Landscape Prize in the 12th edition of the Biennial. Venue: Petit Palau.
- On November 28, 2023, a theoretical reflection day on the theme “The Poetics of Remediation,” with input from the juries of the Rosa Barba and Ribas Piera Prizes, as well as invited keynote speakers. Venue: Petit Palau.
- On November 28, 2023, as part of the Biennial’s closing, the winning projects for both the Rosa Barba and Ribas Piera Prizes will be announced in an event at the Palau de la Música.
- On November 28, 2023, there will be a Pop-up Green ephemeral intervention and a closing celebration. Venue: Pavelló Mies van der Rohe.
The 12th International Landscape Biennial of Barcelona is organized by the College of Architects of Catalonia and the Polytechnic University of Catalonia, with the support of the Metropolitan Area of Barcelona, the City Council of Barcelona, the Provincial Council of Barcelona, the collaboration of the Banc Sabadell Foundation, and the International Federation of Landscape Architects (IFLA), the International Federation of Landscape Architects of Europe (IFLA Europe), and the New European Bauhaus.
See event website here.