IFLA 2022 INTERNATIONAL STUDENT CHARRETTE
IFLA 2022 International Student Charrette will provide a three-day workshop in Gwangju August 29-31, 2022 to the participants. Undergraduate and postgraduate students majoring in Landscape Architecture (or other relevant majors) may participate in the Charrette.
It will be an opportunity for students from diverse cultural backgrounds to gather, communicate and exchange thoughts, and most of all, have fun. Student Charrette will divide the participants into teams, and experts from academia and industry will be mentoring the teams to come up with creative and fresh ideas.
The theme for IFLA 2022 Student Charrette is “Re: Public, Gwangju.” Gwangju, the central hub of the Honam province, is well known for its culture and art. “Yehyang(藝鄕)”, Gwangju’s old nickname, means the town of artists. This shows how Koreans regarded Gwangju as the center of culture since old times. Today, Gwangju continues to be the city leading the contemporary Korean culture and art. Host city for the Gwangju Biennale, one of the first international biennials of contemporary art in Asia, Gwangju has played an important role in supporting and promoting artists and the cultural industry at large. Gwangju not only provides a variety of cultural events and programs, but also has never stopped innovating urban spaces through creative and artistic ideas.
The most noteworthy case of such urban innovation is the “Gwangju Folly” project. Gwangju Folly was planned to regenerate urban contexts through artistic follies as a part of the Gwangju Biennale program. Since 2010, many prominent architects, artists, and designers, including Peter Eisenman, Alejandro Zaera-polo, Juan Herreros, Dominique Perrault, Winy Maas, and Rem Koolhaas, participated in the folly project to reimagine urban spaces in Gwangju. Gwangju Folly is a successful project that changed the urban landscape through an artful but modest attitude towards the existing environment. However, some express concerns that some art projects remain aloof from citizen’s daily lives.
IFLA 2022 International Student Charrette aims to reimagine the previous folly projects that had already reimagined the urban spaces through arts, where landscape becomes the medium. As future landscape architects, participating students will think freely and bravely to restructure the works of masters and make the arts and high architecture one step closer to the citizens of Gwangju.
This year’s Student Charrette was planned by the IFLA 2022 Organizing Committee and organized by the Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture and the Korean Society of Landscape Architecture.
THEME : “RE:PUBLIC, GWANGJU” SITE : GWANGJU FOLLY
yourself and why you should be admitted into the Charette. Include
self-introduction, purpose of participation, portfolio, etc. There is no
specified format for the application.
- Eligibility : Students majoring in landscape architecture all over the world (including graduate students)
- Admission: 30 people in total (6 teams, with 5 people per team)
- Mentors will review the application and select 30 participants in total
- Application: In maximum of 4 pages(A4 size), please describe
- Submission : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Submission Period : March 1 - 31, 2022
- Selection Announcement : April 30, 2022
- The selected students will be contacted individually
- Participation fee : KRW 100,000
- The fee includes : lunch, accommodation, site visit(s), and program participation (The fee does NOT include personal expenses such as breakfast, dinner, travel insurance, etc.)
- Payment method for the participation fee will be notified to the selected applicants at a later date.
- Program duration : August 28 - 30, 2022 (3 days)
- Day 1 : Orientation, Team announcement, Site selection, Site visit, Team mission
- Day 2 : Team mission, Design development and production
- Day 3 : Result submission, Team Presentations, Special lectures, Result evaluation
- The final result will be displayed at the IFLA 2022 venue
- Awards Details: 1st, 2nd, 3rd prize
(1st place: 1,500 USD / 2nd place: 1,000 USD / 3rd place: 500 USD)
* The above schedule is subject to change depending on the circumstances of the organizer.
The Student Charrette of the 58th IFLA World Congress 2022 is sponsored by the Nava Polman-Gerson Foundation.
For more information please visit https://www.ifla2022korea.com/html/11