Remarks of IFLA World Council 2020
The World Council meeting took place this year virtually the 25 and 26 September, and it was focused on the theme of healthy communities and environments, and the role landscape architects have in their design and management:
a. Healthy communities
b. Mental health
Landscape architects have crucial roles in all these issues. Delegates to the IFLA World Council have a crucial role in being part of the IFLA’s leadership and the importance this has to the landscape architectural profession globally. These World Council meetings are the forum to explore ideas and propose new and better ways of doing things.
IFLA’s challenge, and this will be our focus over the next year, is advocacy for healthy environments – ecological health and connected eco-systems, food security and safe communities, both physically and mentally.
IFLA works most effectively when it:
- Is focused on the big picture.
- Is a thought-leader, advocate and forum for new ideas.
- Establishes networks and opens opportunities that bring ideas and people together.
- Is an advocate for the values on which our profession is founded.
- Works in partnership.
Our mission as landscape architects is to create globally sustainable and balanced living environments for the benefit of humanity worldwide.
Our mission is also to promote the landscape architecture profession within a collaborative partnership of the allied built-environment professions, demanding the highest standards of education, training, research and professional practice, and providing leadership and stewardship in all matters.
OUR OBJECTIVES ARE TO:
- Develop and promote the profession and discipline of Landscape Architecture,
- Contribute in identifying and preserving the intricate balance of those ecological
- Establish high standards of professional practice in design and planning of the
- Promote educational and professional international exchange of knowledge, skills and experience.
As a conclusion, delegates to the 2020 International Federation of Landscape Architects (IFLA) World Council meeting endorsed a declaration strengthening the global focus of the landscape architectural profession on health and the positive actions they can take in support of the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 3: Ensure healthy lives and promote well being for all ages. Read the complete declaration here.
Find the IFLA World Council 2020 review here.